Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Confession: I Love Celebrity Gossip Magazines

As much as we may try to deny it, we all have guilty pleasures of some kind. I've discussed guilty pleasure movies before. Another guilty pleasure of mine is reading trashy tabloid magazines. There's just something so thrilling about reading celebrity gossip, even though I know that I personally would hate to find my own life splashed across the glossy pages of Us Weekly.

I don't even have to pay for the tabloid magazines. I can just read them in line at the grocery store or at the cafe at Barnes & Noble. Us Weekly is my favorite, but I'm also pretty fond of Life & Style, In Touch, and Star, which can have great Fab Tips too.

Who's with whom? Who broke up? Who's wearing what? Who's getting married? Who said what? Who cheated? Who got back together? Who got arrested? Who got drunk and made a scene? These are all those things most people gossip about in high school, except for me. I didn't have anyone to gossip with. So maybe I'm going through my high school stage now.

Pic from Tumblr.
Be that as it may, one afternoon I was reading In Touch at the grocery store, and this man approached me. "What you are reading in there is not true!" he exclaimed, as though he were sharing with me an earth-shattering revelation. "Did you know that?"

"Yeah. So?" I responded, wondering why so many strangers feel the need to give me unsolicited advice about how I should get married, how I should lose weight, how I should get rid of my acne, why I shouldn't wear eye makeup if I don't have a boyfriend, and now that I shouldn't read things because they're not true. That's not even a legitimate argument. Plenty of things that are not true are worth reading. There's this entire genre of books called fiction. Great works of literature like Pride & Prejudice and Wuthering Heights are not true. OK, so In Touch and Us Weekly might be McGriddles and Quesaritos compared to high quality works like Pride & Prejudice, but my point remains the same.

And who the hell are you to tell me what I can and cannot read, anyway?

I didn't say any of this to the random man, of course, since I don't like talking to people. I just returned to reading about Kim Kardashian and ignored him.

Don't let anyone judge you for indulging in a guilty pleasure. Just had to get that off my chest.

What's your guilty pleasure? Let me know in the comments.

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment