Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Movie Review: Big Hero 6

So the Disney movie Big Hero 6 came out on DVD a little while back. I remember when it theaters I knew I wanted to see it right away opening weekend because of how adorable it looked. Plus I really love Disney. Plus it was made by a lot of the same people who did Frozen and Wreck It Ralph, both of which I really love.
Gif from Buzzfeed.
And let me tell you, Big Hero 6 was really good, even better than The Book of Life, which was also really adorable. I'll admit that it wasn't as great as Frozen or as visually stunning, but it was still heartfelt and touching and OMG I'm tearing up again just thinking about it! (T_T)

Like Wreck It Ralph, it had strong themes of friendship and identity, and like Frozen, it focused on family -- although on a pair of brothers, not sisters. Also, like many superhero films, it mixed in themes of revenge and redemption. Additionally, it was one of the most diverse Disney films I've ever seen.

Big Hero 6 takes place in an anime-esque city called San Fransokyo - a combination of San Francisco and Tokyo - where kid genius Hiro is interested only in illegal robot-fighting and gambling. His older brother Todashi urges him to apply himself in using his intellect in creating something important, something to help others, like the cuddly robot of Todashi's creation, Baymax, intended as a personal healthcare assistant to treat people who are sick and injured.

After a terrible incident, Hiro relies on Baymax and his group of friends (all racially diverse super genius scientists except comic book-obsessed Fred. I love Fred. Fred is me.), and they form a sentai-style group of superheroes in order to catch a dastardly villain. I'm trying to minimize spoilers, so let's just say I cried a lot. I admittedly also loudly exclaimed the word "Fuck!" twice in dismay. Luckily I was the only one in the theater at that showing, since I neglected to see it in 3D.
Pic from Buzzfeed.
I will mention, however, that I was incredibly annoyed by all the mispronunciation of every single Japanese word and name. Every. Single. One. Why couldn't Disney have hired a voice coach to teach the cast to say names correctly?! Was that so hard?!

Speaking of the cast, however, it does include the lovely Jamie Chung, whom I have a crush on, as well as Alan Tudyk, who once again voices a devious character of suspect motivation (just like King Candy in Wreck It Ralph and the Duke of Weaseltown in Frozen -- so far from cuddly Wash playing with toy dinosaurs in Firefly). Except for all the mispronunciation, the cast did a great job.

By the way, be sure to watch until after the credits for a Stan Lee cameo! What's a Marvel movie adaptation without Stan Lee, after all?

So go on and enjoy the cuteness, and bring tissues. You're in for a whole lot of feels.

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment