Sunday, February 10, 2013

Downton Style

It should come as no surprise how much I love Downton Abbey. It's an amazingly well done British period drama, and it's so well researched. Historical details are spot on. The costumes are incredible and change as the period changes with a very natural -- and historically accurate -- progression, and fabulous style is circumambient throughout. The styles shown have definitely had an influence on current fashion, which I love. Twenties' fashion is so much fun, even though I personally cannot pull off drop-waist dresses, but Twenties'-style jewelry, both trendy and vintage-y, has been very in. I love pairing the long, feminine necklaces with edgy, studded bracelets.

Another thing from this past season that I feel certainly has a Downton Abbey influence is the cloche hat. I love cloches. They're bell-shaped and low enough to keep my ears warm, and they look so chic. I remember back in the fall I saw this absolutely beautiful, oxblood cloche from Banana Republic, and it was an outfit-making statement piece. I had just spent all my spare money on a gorgeous Calvin Klein top that had been on an incredible sale (purple snakeskin print, sleeveless, cowl neck, with faux leather back, so fabulous!), so I couldn't afford the oxblood cloche. I was able to snag a couple of less expensive ones later: one in black with a black a ribbon and one in fuschia with a flower decoration. They're very feminine and fun, and I love wearing them with my hair braided back.

Anyway, if you don't watch Downton Abbey for the well-written story, the engaging array of characters, the incredible historical details, the sexy British accents, the beautiful and stunning Michelle Dockery, or the heart-wrenching "will they or won't they?" tension, then at least watch it for the lovely fashion.

And Maggie Smith. She's freaking awesome.

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul


No comments:

Post a Comment